“Play is the work of the child.” -Maria Montessori
A kid’s playroom is a special place just for them. A place where they can be high-energy, creative, messy, and free to run around. When it comes to choosing the right playroom flooring option for you, there are several key details to consider. When it comes to playroom flooring, safety, comfort, and durability are key considerations. As flooring experts, we’re weighing the pros and cons of popular playroom flooring options, including foam mats, carpet, and concrete coatings, to help you make an informed decision about the best flooring option for your playroom.
What to Look For In Playroom Flooring
Don't underestimate the importance of flooring in your playroom. Your flooring choice has a big job to do. A playroom floor must be able to stand up to stains, spills, art projects, games of tag, bathroom accidents, messy toddlers, and the occasional cartwheel…all while being a comfortable place to flop down or take a tumble.
Here’s what we recommend looking for when selecting your Playroom Flooring Safety: Playroom flooring should be safe for children to play and run on, with a non-slip surface that minimizes the risk of falls and injuries.
- Comfort: Soft and cushioned flooring is essential for playrooms to provide a comfortable surface for children to play and run on.
- Durability: Playroom flooring should be able to withstand the wear and tear of active children and pets, and be easy to clean and maintain.
- Aesthetics: Playroom flooring should be visually appealing, with colors and patterns that are fun and exciting for children.
- Versatility: Playroom flooring should be versatile and suitable for a wide range of activities, such as playing, reading, drawing, and more.
- Ease of installation: Playroom flooring should be easy to install and maintain, with minimal hassle and disruption to the home.
- Eco-Friendliness: Playroom flooring should be environmentally friendly and safe for children, without harmful chemicals or VOCs.
- Affordability: Playroom flooring should be budget-friendly and not cost a fortune, especially for those on a tight budget.
Popular Playroom Flooring Options
When it comes to your playroom, you want something that will stand up to everyday play but will also fit within your aesthetic preferences. Depending on your needs (and your style), there are a few different options that range from classic to functional. Consider these ideas to create a fun and comfortable space for your kids to play in:
Foam mats tend to be forgiving and add cushion to your flooring, exactly what you want in a playroom. Some options even feature specialized surface textures that won’t burn skin when you fall or crawl on them.They’re geneally comfortable to walk on and make great spaces for kids to tumble and play. Foam mats come in a wide array of designs and styles, are great at shock absorption, and can easily be disinfected.
- Safe and soft surface
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Variety of colors and designs
- Not as durable as other options
- Need to be replaced more frequently
- Not as comfortable as carpet
Carpet is a classic for a reason. It is one of the first flooring options that comes to mind when considering playroom flooring. Why? It’s durable, soft, and cozy. Bonus: it adds a layer of insulation to the room to absorb sound, for those times when your kids get rowdy. Nylon carpet is highly recommended for a high traffic use room like this, and serves as an option that is both soft and durable while remaining stain resistant.
- Soft and comfortable surface
- Insulates the room and reduces noise
- Wide variety of colors and designs
- Requires regular cleaning and maintenance
- Not as durable as other options
- Not ideal for allergy sufferers
A concrete coating enhances the overall look and feel of your space while providing protection against stains and spills. It is much easier to clean and maintain than traditional floors and is a great option for pets that shed or kids with allergies. Whether the look you’re going for is traditional, contemporary, or if you lean more towards eccentric design, you can find a concrete coating option to match your taste and style. The end result? A playroom floor strong enough to withstand the roughest kid’s play and yet stylish enough to serves as an aesthetic focal point.
- Easy to clean & low maintenance
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Stain-resistant, Chip-resistant, and durable
- No allergens
- Not as cozy or soft as other options
- Requires professional installation
- Higher up-front cost
See how our concrete coatings compare to other popular coatings product currently on the market.
Choose Webfoot for your Playroom Flooring
Looking for more advice when planning your playroom? We pride ourselves on our 18+ years of experience in the industry and top-rated customer service and communication. We want to hear from you! Schedule a free quote, with our free consultation, and Coating Specialist will evaluate your surfaces, explore color and texture samples, and give you a clear written estimate. Contact us to schedule today.
Schedule a Free Quote
Webfoot makes achieving your project goals easy.
Durable Powder-Coated Garage Cabinets
Learn about Webfoot Cabinets today